- Okay, I’m aware that, like The Grinch, this also is not really a movie (it’s a TV special), but it was a request for the Countdown!
- Somehow, I have never seen this, so this is the first brand new screening of Christmas
- I legitimately paused this at the beginning to make sure I hadn’t somehow accidently started a movie about a groundhog; spoiler alert: this movie is actually narrated by a groundhog
- I appreciate that the second musical number tells us what Jack Frost actually is because I’ve honestly never known and just sang along during that one song. It’s just like when people talk about math.
- There are somehow both pumpkin peasants and robots in this movie
- What the hell is a kaputnik?
- Elisa! Don’t let these literal peasants tell you you need to settle down and get married!
- Okay, this tv special is trying to do the same amount of world-building as The Lord of the Rings
- Jack Frost’s human form looks a little Tilda Swinton-esque
- None of the songs in this movie are memorable at all because they’re each forty-five seconds long
- Why is there so much freaking Groundhog in this? Did the inventor of Groundhog Day produce this? The entire history of snow pixies is glossed over in less than sixty seconds, but this fat mole is singing about February 2 for five minutes
The Final Hot Chocolate
I’m grading on a curve here because I’ve never been a big fan of the Claymation specials. Even with a curve, though, from the songs to the story, Jack Frost is quite forgettable. Worst of all, it’s not even Christmas-y! It’s far more Groundhog Day-y! It’s not offensively bad, but I certainly cannot recommend it to make your spirits bright.